I’ve been slowly deburring the holes I final drilled in all of the horizontal stabilizer parts over the last week and a half or so. I haven’t spent too much time working on it because my weekends have been pretty busy and deburring holes is one of my least favorite things to do so it’s been tough to get motivated to do it. Also, I never feel like the tools I have for deburring the holes are very effective. It’s probably user error but for the most part it just seems like the tools push the burrs around without actually removing them. I’ve tried not to worry about it too much since scuffing all of the parts with the Scotch-Brite pad while prepping for priming helps to clean up the holes, but I want to make sure they are deburred properly before I dimple everything. I did some reading on the VAF forums and have decided to dry using some 3M roloc discs in an angle grinder. The blue discs, which are listed as having a fine texture, are what people use and I think they are even less aggressive than the maroon pads I use before priming. If this works the way I’m hoping it will then it should really speed up the deburring process. I’ve got some ordered and will have them later this week so I’ll be able to try them out soon.
I’m also considering using the “light deburring” Scotch-Brite wheels that I recently bought as well. I’ve got a 6-inch wheel in my bench top buffer, and a couple 1-inch wheels for use in my hand held grinder. They are MUCH less aggressive than the other wheels I have been using and do a great job of removing burs without changing the shape of the part. Of course, if I hold the part on the wheel in one spot long enough it will remove a lot of material, but it’s much slower than the “cut & polish” wheel that originally came with my tool kit.